Statement on termination of diplomatic relations with Panama
June 13, 2017
On the decision by the Republic of Panama to end diplomatic relations with the Republic of China (Taiwan), the Office of the President released the following statement:
- We express our deep regret and disappointment at the Republic of Panama’s decision to renounce our long-standing friendship and establish diplomatic relations with the People’s Republic of China.
Over the years, Taiwan’s government and people have fully supported Taiwan’s diplomatic allies through experience-sharing and development projects. We are able and willing to continue supporting such efforts. But we will not engage in a diplomatic bidding war.
- Over the past few months, China has used various methods to manipulate the “one China principle” and pressure Taiwan’s international space. This not only threatens the rights of the Taiwanese people, it is also a dangerous provocation to the peace and stability of the Taiwan Strait and the region at large. We strongly condemn such behavior.
- As a member of the international community, the government has a responsibility to maintain cross-strait peace and regional stability. Our commitment to this will not change. However, Beijing’s actions have challenged the status quo, driving cross-strait relations away from peace and towards confrontation. With this in mind, the government will reassess the cross-strait situation.
We call on China, as a responsible major country in the region, to immediately cease activities that further damage the stability of this region and hurt the people of Taiwan. We hope that China can return cross-strait relations to the right path forward.
- Regardless of political party or cross-strait policy, Taiwan has always faced external challenges and coercion from Beijing. We should look past our political differences and stand together on difficult cross-strait issues.
- The government has a responsibility to safeguard freedom and democracy, as well as the public’s security and welfare. Faced with various difficulties and challenges, the public should rest assured that the government will continue to uphold our national interest with the utmost effort.